Sugar Factory Automation and Optimization
Purvaj Desai, Abhishek Lad, Hemraj Desai, Jenish Shah, Hemang Shah
Department of Computer Science & Engineering, R.N.G.P Institute of Technology Surat, India.
With respect to the present scenario in industries, automation and digital control system plays a major role in industries production system. In Indian industries like Sugar Factories which uses a huge number of human resources for production which is not up to the mark till date as there are many drawbacks in terms of production, so for that in this paper we are proposing a novel solution for the problem based on automation and digitalization which include the concept of industry 4.0. In this detection of drum temperature level of boiler can be done by sensor and automated monitoring of temperature can be done by using concepts of Internet of Things (IoT) for sending the data at specific interval of time frequently to the system. For getting appropriate form of sugar crystals while washing with highly pressurised water which is right now done manually in sugar industries will be done automatically by condenser valve which will send notification regarding when to start and end the procedure of purifying sugar crystals as in desired proportion. Thus by implementing it in sugar industries will reduce manual work in industries and now can be done automatically which will provide a smart digitalized solution for the sugar industries in terms of effective quality based production of sugar crystals.
A. History about Sugar industries in India
The sugar industry is a major contributor to the agricultural sector which is the support of the economy of the nation. The sector accounts for about 15% of the agricultural Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and is the dominant employer as well as the source of livelihoods for most households in India. Sugar industries in India have never achieved the goal of industry recommended standard of 89% in terms of ability utilization. The annual production of white sugar is consistently below the targeted value. Maintenance considerations play a key role during the life cycle of sugar factory equipments. Optimal utilization and management of available resources and maintenance plays a major role in performance of sugar processing system. 
B. Automation in Sugar Industries with 4.0
In general, Industry 4.0 includes the development and integration of innovative information and communication technologies into the industry. These related changes in the industrial sector are seen as a comprehensive concept currently named as the fourth industrial revolution: Industry 4.0. 
In general, the main purpose of the Industry 4.0 is the development of digital manufacturing, also named as "smart" factory, which means smart networking, mobility, flexibility of industrial operations and their interoperability, integration with customers and suppliers and in the adoption of innovative business models. The defining feature associated to the fourth industrial revolution is the intelligent networks based on cyber-physical systems.
Availability, production cost and quality of sugar products is influenced by the condition of the equipment which are lying to stoppages due to unplanned failures if they are not well maintained. This kind of issues affects production targets and costs in terms of downtime and inventory before the equipment is restored to operable state. Therefore sugar industries should have effective maintenance programs which involves proper maintenance planning, scheduling, maintenance execution and sustainable improvement activities and that types of solution provide by new technology proposed by Industry 4.0 like Automation with industrial Internet of things (IIOT), Big data, Cyber Physical Systems.
Firstly,In real time scenario in the sugar factory, If 100kg of sugar cane is crushed then from this crushed sugar cane the obtained juice can produce maximum of 10-12kg of a good quality crystalline sugar. Condenser Valve plays an important role in production of good quality sugar, further improving the design, and constructing an automated condenser valve good quality sugar can be produced in more quantity.we will be sensing the temperature of hot water from barometric leg, temperature of vapour and pressure of vacuum with the use of CPS system and by using that real time data we also manage opening and closing timing of valve with the use of Industrial internet of things. Therefore condensing station works smoothly and practically without any interference.
Secondly, the most crucial part of any power plant is boiler and to increase the efficiency of the boiler automation and precise efforts is been taken. Sugar plants are totally based on boiler system. Control the level of water in drum of boiling system is very critical operation. Nowadays, conventional techniques are being wiped out and modern techniques like automation maintenance through sensor base data with the use of technology like Big-Data, Industrial internet of things (IIOT) are being adopted. 
This paper is organized as follow. In section 2, we describe several problem statement. Section 3 presents different methods for detecting problems and provide solution. 4 Section represents conclusion.
(1) Unnecessary use of water for sugar crystallization and refining is there in condenser system by manually controlled valves.
(2) Fluctuation of temperature in boiling system which effect the sugar production.
A. Automatic valve
For regulating the water flow, automated butterfly valve is placed in system. The closing mechanism takes the form of a disk. Butterfly valves are generally favoured because they are lower in cost to other valve designs as well as being lighter in weight, meaning less support is required and the valve closing and opening timing set through timing sensor and operate with the help of IOT automation through operator station. The disc is positioned in the centre of the pipe; form outside the valve the rod is connected with an actuator. Rotating the actuator turns the disc either parallel or perpendicular to the flow. Unlike a ball valve, with the use of automation condenser valve we can sense pressure through sensors and also operate opening and closing timing through Industrial IOT Automation.
Working logic of Butterfly valve:
For sugar crystallization and purification condenser valve is placed with the three other pan valves in chamber system. Condenser valve is used to spray pressurized water in the chamber. Through CPS system sensor base data detection and timing is set through automation and when the condenser valve remains open it get the signal through operator station and after time period is over sensor detect the pressure and data transfer to the automation station and further action has been taken. Otherwise, the signal redirected to other pan valves and it shrink the pressurized water flow with the help of emergency gate closing mechanism, so we can reduce the unnecessary water flow.
B. Boiling System Automation
Automation boiling system architecture is given below; which includes the Operator station, Engineering Station, Automation Station and plant overview.Alarm status and instrument status is maintain by operator station. Maintenance and design part will be handling by engineering station . In automation station we implement DSC (Drum System Controller) hardware. In plant overview where various instruments are installed whose status is to be monitored.
Through sensors and gives it to the operator station and if any abnormal condition occurs the process parameter can take corrective action immediately without any manual work by human and that automation is done by Industrial Internet of things.
The main aim is to automation of Distributed Control System using the IIOT devices and Big data. After installing this devices the DCS will operate as a central System of hardware, which can be monitored from a single room. For monitoring screen we are using SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition system).
Why Drum level control is Important:
The main aim of the drum level controller is to maintain the level of water in the boiler from beginning at a constant steam load. Decrease in this water level causes overheating of tubes which damages the tube. Increase in the level may disturb the process of separating moisture from steam present in the drum, and thus reducing the boiler efficiency, so maintaining the drum level control is major part in boiling system.
1. High end quality product and productivity.
2. Efficient usage of raw materials and enhances every amount of energy improved.
Traditionally, most of the sugar production system is controlled manually, which is time consuming, tediousand costly. However,The proposed solutions in condenser and automation boiling maintenance system reduce most of the manual work done. With the help of Internet of things and some concept related to big data and industries 4.0, there are several methods which detect such types of problems. This approach reduces user interaction and speeds up the production system.
- Sayyad Rifat Arbaaz1, Prof. W.V.Patil2 & Mr. Sunil Panchal 3 ,1Student GHRCE Nagpur, 2Prof. GHRCE Nagpur and, 3Director of Sunlax system &Technologies PVT LTD., | Vol-3, Issue-4, 2017 ISSN:2454-1362
- Josaphat Pramudijanto Department, Andri Ashfahani, Ali, Suryo Aji Nugroho, Department of Electrical EngineeringITS Surabaya, Indonesia,â" PLC-Based PID-PredictiveController Design for 3-Phase Induction Motor on Centrifugal Machine for Sugar Manufacturing Processâ" Int"l Conf. on Advanced Mechatronics, Intelligent Manufacture, and Industrial Automation 2015 (ICAMIMIA,2015)Surabaya,Indonesia,on October15-17 2015
- K. Gowri Shankar," Control of Boiler Operation using PLC-SCADA" Proceedings of the international multiconference of engineering and Computer Scientists 2008 vol. II IMECS 2008, 19-21 March, 2008, Hong Kong (ISBN; 978-988-17012-1-3)
- R.D.Nipane1, D.L.Shinde2, Shubham Kalode3, Shekhar Durge4, Deependra Khanjire5, and AkshayIngale61,2Assistant Professor, Padmabhooshan Vasantdada Patil Institute of Technology, Bavdhan, Pune, Maharashtra, 411021, India | Volume 3 Issue 12 | ISSN: 2349-6002
- Maheshwarnath Behary, Robert T. F. Ah King and Harry C.S. Rughooputh Faculty of Engineering "Automation of sugar Boiling Process in Batch Vacuum Pans using ABBFreelancePLC (AC 800F) and Conductor NT SCADA University of Mauritius Reduit, Mauritius." IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT) 2004"
- Pekka K. "Applying Total Productive Maintenance." TPM Principles in the Flexible Manufacturing Systems. ISSN: 1402-1536,ISRN: LTU- 00/23-SE (2000).
- P. K. Bhowmik, and S. K. Dhar Dept. of Instrumentation and Communication, Eastern Refinery Ltd., Chittagong, Bangladesh Member, IEEE, Chittagong, Bangladesh," Boiler Gas Burner Management System Automation Using PLCâ" 2012 7th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering 20-22 December, 2012, Dhaka, Bangladesh